Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Grandma's Values

6x6
gessoed panel
Yet another cutesy title for Stanley to harass me on. It will make for good conversation in our next class. This is my grandma, Eva Bealer. After painting Lincoln yesterday, I remembered that my uncle had e-mailed me this picture of her. She was a hard working woman who had 7 children, most of whom started off in life speaking German. BTW, that is why my name is spelled how it is...using the german spelling for "Kathy". Anyway before going off on too long of a tangent here, I think of this as a 2 value painting. There are some midtones that define features but they are a slight shift. As I stand back away from the picture that is what I see. I could paint on this more, as  I see several corrections but I promised myself I would get to work at a normal start time.

7 comments:

  1. beautiful! you are a very talented portrait artist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you but I do have a lot more ground to cover before I would label myself as a talented portrait artist! You are sweet to say that!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for saying that! Really liked your latest posting on the show you are in. You do such great work!

      Delete
  3. So nicely done. :) Have really enjoyed your work for the '30 in 30' Congrats on a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have missed so much of your work, Kaethe but I have caught up!! Your work is amazing ...I love your portraits and hope to see more!!!

    ReplyDelete